Friday, August 25, 2017

National Geographic Kids Weird But True! 2: 300 Outrageous Facts

National Geographic Kids Weird But True! 2:  300 Outrageous Facts                Paperback:  206 pages                      

I am loving this series of books.    Who knew bottle-nosed dophin’s brains are bigger than human brains?   Only female bees sting and only female mosquitoes bite.    Dreams average 20 minutes in length.   The air around a lightning strike is 5 times hotter than the sun – more research required on that one – then how can we bear it?     Who knew bats have thumbs?   I knew they have little fingers man if my cats had thumbs they wouldn’t need me.    A jiffy is one-hundredth of a second.   I have been lying for years saying I will get to that in a jiffy.   Humans are made of 10 trillion cells.     A 95 mile long underground  river flows beneath Mexico – I have never heard that before.    I bet it would be cool to check that out, though.    Neil Armstrong left his space boots on the moon.   You know, from what I am hearing lots of stuff was left there.   We may need to go back and tidy up.   It says there is gold on the sun.   (How do they know?   More research!)    Animals that lay eggs don’t have belly buttons but then, why would they?     Russia is only two miles from Alaska, so that Tina Fey line on Saturday Night Live could have been true, Sarah Palin may very well have been able to see Russia from the roof of her house.     A group of Blue Jays is called a Party.    Me, too in a group.   A tigers stripes are different on either side – Zoo here I come gotta check that out.   Tyrannosaurus Rex means Tyrant Lizard King in Latin.   So was Jim Morrison of the Doors Saurus Rex in Latin?   A cat’s top speed is 31 miles per hour.   I can believe that.   Don’t get in the way when it’s kibble time at my house.   Christopher Columbus saw a manatee and thought it was a mermaid.   He must have been into those Rubenesque mermaids.    Saturn is made partly of helium the same gas used to fill party balloons can you imagine if there is life on Saturn?   Would they speak in Munchkin voices?    Contrary to the popular consensus most pirates NEVER buried their loot.   Why would they?    You can’t spend it if its sitting in a hole somewhere you are not.   Kangaroos wet their forearms to stay cool.    I wonder if they lick their wrists?    Queen Elizabeth has a crown studded with more than 3,000 precious gems.    I’ve seen a replica of this one.   I’ve got to say if I were her sometimes I would have to walk around with that on just for the fun of it.    The offspring of a whale and a dolphin is called a wholphin – does that happen?  More research!    A rattlesnake’s rattle is made of the same material as human fingernails.     Facts are stranger than fiction.   Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment