Friday, August 25, 2017

National Geographic Kids Weird But True! 3: 300 Outrageous Facts

National Geographic Kids Weird But True! 3: 300 Outrageous Facts          Paperback Book: 206 pages                      

I love this series of books.   It is right up my alley.  Outrageous facts are so fun to learn about and many of these are spurring me on to do further reading on the studies they come from.   Fascinating!    You will learn so much from these books and see so many things in the amazing photography inside each book.   Great!   Elephants, Aligators and Hippos can all outrun humans.   I did not know that, of course if scared enough I bet I could run pretty fast if one of those babies were after me – good to know their awkward gait does not slow them down.    I will totally remember that if I am ever out in the savannah and see one giving me stink face.   (I hope I get the opportunity to see them in the savannah some day – not the stink face part, though!)    A woman’s hear usually beats faster than a man’s heart.  Ladies, no wonder we fall for their lines.   Scorpions glow under black light.   I am so pleased to learn that because if I ever go to the southwest or southern hemisphere I will definetly pack a black light bulb (and accompanying device to be able to use it in another country’s current if outside the border of the U.S.)   There are 100 foot tall sand dunes in Alaska.   I never think about anything that far north being sandy, but hey,  I guess in the early years of the planet things were geographically way different and the leftovers of that time are still hanging around here and there.   Skunks have striped skin under their fur.   I bet they are just as cute bald then as they are with fur.  Astronauts on the space station drink recycled sweat and urine – I really didn’t need to know that one – eww!   Austrailian Aborigines have existed for at least 50,000 years.   They are the world’s oldest living culture.   Hadn’t heard that before.    Parrots talk without vocal cords.   That is going to require further research on my part – I’m intrigued.   Months that begin on Sunday always have a Friday the 13th.   I’m going to try and remember that one, too.   Some people can hear their eyeballs moving – what must that sound like?   (I’m not one of them.)   1 in 100 people can write equally well with both hands.  (I am one of them.)    Some clouds are more than 10 miles tall.    Saturn has more than 60 moons.    A praying mantis has only one ear and is the only insect able to look over it’s shoulder.   All of the people on earth could crowd into half the country of Belgium – seriously?   But there are so many of us and Belgium doesn’t seem to be that big.   We must have to be shoulder to shoulder toe to toe or maybe face to face toe to toe.   A geep is part goat part sheep – wasn’t there a geep in some of the old Popeye cartoons?  I think he was magical or from outerspace.    Your tongue print is as unique as your fingerprint.  (Tongue print?)    Like I said, I love this stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment