Friday, August 4, 2017

The Road to Little Dribbling

The Road to Little Dribbling by Bill Bryson            Audio Book: 8 hours, 30 minutes     Hardback book: 400 pages.

I stand corrected.   I thought Bill Bryson bashed America and praised England in the last book I read by him, but, now that I have read this book – I have to say, Bill Bryson bashes everybody equally. J   I guess it would be correct to say that Bill Bryson has a LOW tolerance for what he sees as idiocy no matter where it occurs and no matter who is spewing it.   He is funny, he is witty, he can be cantankerous.   He can really cut pretty deep with some of his remarks and I could see where people would certainly take offense at some of the biting things he says.   For the most part other than his critical comebacks, I do really like his writing and do plan to read more by this author.    I think of him along the lines of the comedians Don Rickles,  Sam Kinison  John Cleese or Lewis Black.   He observes then comments on his utter incredulity at the lack of comprehension on other’s parts.    He can be so funny at times then other times I just have to cringe and think, “this might be why some folks don’t like Americans.”   But, all in all, I don’t think he actually realizes how cutting his remarks can be, I believe he sees only the funny side of what he is saying and not the scathing.   Barring some of his way too frank comments, this is a lovely book on travelling in England and such a lovely description of several off the beaten path places to see in England’s countryside that one might not hear of otherwise.    Best kept secrets are special like that.   Like a present you open and are joyously surprised to find out what is inside.    Bryson never fails to delight if you can get past his perceptions of the shortcomings in others.     There are a lot of gems here and you learn about his background which will explain a lot of why he is the way he is and says the things he does.   I see why his wife often has to get him by the elbow and trundle him off.   A good read by a good writer and a fun sounding road trip for one.

No comments:

Post a Comment