Thursday, February 26, 2015

Dragon Head

Cover image for Dragon Head Volume 1 by Minetaro Mochizuki, 220 pages

It had been quite awhile since I had read any manga. This was not because I disliked it in any way but I because I was unsure what to read. I initially considered going back to One Piece but since I didn't like the direction it was going, I was not looking forward to it. Luckily before I could check out the next volume I realized that surely manga has to have reading advisory sites just like the rest of the fiction world. Trust me when I say there are more sites than you could ever use. I ended up going with one that broke it down by genre, which lead me to Dragon Head Volume 1 which happened to be at the top of their horror list.

Dragon Head is about a young boy and his class who are on a train because of a school trip. While in a tunnel disaster befalls Japan. Part of the tunnel collapses derailing the train and trapping him and some other survivors in the tunnel. What at first seems like just a survivor thriller quickly turns into a horror story as one of the survivors starts to lose their grip on reality.

This horror manga while still in its infancy, is off to a really good start. It has the darkening mood of an unknown disaster, the fear from being trapped in a tunnel, and then the panic that is starting to spread. I eagerly await the next issue of this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment