Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Beautiful Creatures and Beautiful Darkness

Beautiful Creatures and Beautiful Darkness by Kami Garcia, 563 and 503 pages

Cover image for Beautiful DarknessCover image for Beautiful CreaturesThis series, which is called the Beautiful Creatures series is about two old family lines living in the south. One family is mortal and the other is witches or as they go by in the books castors. Despite their differences both of these families must over come their prejudice and help save the world.

I was warned by someone to not read this series. That if I wanted to read a young adult series there was a myriad of better stuff out there. But since I liked the movie, I felt obligated to give this series a try. Sadly the best I can say about it was, it was a quick read. The plots are the same overused boy meets girl who is different and unusual and falls in love with them. They must overcome general hostility to them being together and must show they are willing to make sacrifices to be together. The rest is just filler.

While I know that a lot of popular series, and even books that I like are in this same plot story, they at least make me forget about it. They are able to distract me with a thrilling visual story that connects in such a way that even though I know how this plot is going to end, I still enjoy it. With this series however I had to almost commit myself to reading it. It felt like I was reading it just to make sure the elements were there. Teen romance, check. Teens parents/guardians don't want them to be together, check. Teen A goes against the social norms to be with teen B, check. And on and on until you reach the end.

There are more books in the series besides these two, but I don't know if I really want to read them or not. I only read the second one because the first leaves some questions.

1 comment:

  1. Was one of the questions the first book left "Why didn't I listen to the people who are clearly trying to look out for me?" :p

    ReplyDelete