Thursday, February 26, 2015

Mystic Masseur

Mystic Masseur by V. S. Naipaul


Cover image for
This book came to me as part of Center for the Readers blind date with a book. The concept is each book is wrapped in mostly see through proof tissue paper ad decorated with stickers and such. They are then all placed on a table where patrons can choose which blind date with a book they want. Included with the book is a evaluation slip that can be turned in for a prize drawing.

When I saw how old the book looked, with its plain unappealing cover, I admit, I thought I would not like it. After reading the first ten pages I knew I wouldn't like it. There is so much argot and dialect that it is a real pain to get through. But since it would help the program and I didn't want to be that big of a snob, I pushed on.


The Mystic Masseur is about a man named Ganesh as he rises in both fame and power in Trinidad. It is at times humorous and shocking, but not a bad read. In time I was able to get pass the dialects and actually enjoy the book. Though I would not recommend it to anyone.


Note: When trying to find a picture of the book I found out that this was made into a move. So if you want to know more about it you could watch the movie.
Second Note: This edition cover was not the book I read, the one I read was a plain red.

No comments:

Post a Comment