Thursday, February 12, 2015

How I discovered Poetry

How I Discovered Poetry by Marilyn Nelson, 103 pages


I’m not big on poetry but this book does kind of tell a story, which makes it a little bit better for me.  It basically tells the story of Nelson’s own childhood in the 1950s.  It is not entirely an autobiography, however.  There has been some liberties taken, I believe.  The poems were written after she was an adult, although she has tried to keep the voice of a child in the writing.  They deal with her fears and reactions to things happening in the world, such as racism and communism, and their military life which caused them to move fairly frequently.  I read this because it was one of the Coretta Scott King honor books this year and I liked it.  I think that anyone who likes poetry will definitely like it but it could be an easy sell to a lot of kids because the book is also very short.

No comments:

Post a Comment