Saturday, February 28, 2015

Discworld Graphic Novels

Cover image for The Discworld Graphic novels: The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett and Steve Ross, 272 pages


This might be one of the only cases where I actually read the books before the graphic novels. Sadly I think that really detracted from the entertainment I would have gotten out of this. For starters the characters where not as I expected. When you read a book you form an image of what the characters look like. If when you see those characters fleshed out, be it in a movie or in this case a graphic novel, you expect them to look a certain way. When they don't match your expectations it can be quite off putting. The second thing I noticed when reading this was it seemed lacking. The story was still there but it no longer felt like a Pratchett book. There was no snide writer comments, some of the descriptive lines that add nothing to the story were left out. It was like this was a cliff notes version of the two books.

Since I have or will be soon posting a review of the two books this graphic novel covers I won't go into the plot. If you want to know what happens go read the reviews.

I would not recommend this book to anyone, and in fact would encourage people not to read it. Go read the books instead. They are not long and quite enjoyable, though your sanity may suffer a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment