Thursday, August 11, 2016

Echoes of Edisto

Echoes of Edisto by C. Hope Clark    246 pages

Before I start talking about the Edisto mysteries, I have to comment that I love the first trilogy author C. Hope Clark penned, the Carolina Slade mysteries. They were excellent. One of the things that I love about Clark’s books is that they can be read in any order. There may be a reference here and there to another story, but it does not interfere with the plot at hand.

And that brings me to Echoes of Edisto where “murder came in with the tide.” It’s the third book in the series. Not sure if there will be any more, but after I go back and read Books 1 and 2, I sure hope so. I know I keep hoping there will be another Carolina Slade mystery (hint, hint Ms. Clark.)

The story opens with Police Chief Callie Jean Morgan debating about going off the wagon and having to deal with a diva celebrity visiting the island. That gives way to a 10-50 call and Callie rushes to the scene.

Unfortunately, the outcome of the car-in-the-water is given away on the book jacket. It takes away from the tension of the event. But Clark pulled me back in with the next scene and the story takes off from there.

Callie must deal with the death of her officer, the almost-death of her neighbor, her burgeoning romance with one of her officers, the mother, island politics, and the fight to stay on the wagon. I was shocked that Callie would take a drink as she did several times throughout the book’s 246 pages. It was confusing, at first, to determine the relationship between her mom and dad and her neighbor’s Sarah ad Ben.

The climax is harrowing…and shocking…which makes for a great read. I found myself gasping at the turn of events and the secrets that are uncovered. I would LOVE to tell you more, but that’s as far as I can go.


I give Echoes of Edisto 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment