Thursday, September 22, 2022

The Old Man and the Sea

 Shirley J.                   Adult Fiction                                    Old Fisherman, the Sea as a character

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway  128 pages

I'm playing catch up on the classics I have never read.  Seems most people read classics in highschool but many of the older books were never part of my curriculum.  So here I am and I find I truly enjoyed this story, probably more than I would have as a teen.  It flowed almost like poetry and I like the way Hemingway made the sea come alive like another character in the story.   Such a battle like a loving, respectful Moby Dick, the old man had his fight with a marlin, struggled through heat and a shark attack but came back to tell the tale.  Hemingway displays a real love in his writing for the hearty swarthy fisherfolk he describes and the sea as a melancholy lover caressing and assailing his soul.  Wouldn't my teacher have enjoyed that sentence had I given a report or comment in class on the story?  : )  I recommend this story to all who love classic literature, who love Hemingway and who love the sea and the people who survive on her bounty, highschoolers on up.   

No comments:

Post a Comment