Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Life at Hamilton: Sometimes You Throw Away Your Shot, Only to Find Your Story

Life at Hamilton: Sometimes You Throw Away Your Shot, Only to Find Your Story by Mike Anthony 296 pages

 

I am probably the only person in the United States who loves American history and musical theater but hasn’t seen Lin-Manuel Miranda’s Broadway sensation, Hamilton. I just don’t think I’d like all that rapping. Of the few scenes I’ve seen on television, I can’t understand a word they are saying/singing. But maybe it’s just me. That, and I don’t want to pay $500 for a ticket just to be frustrated. That’s why I picked up this memoir from the bartender at the theater where Hamilton was/is playing. I thought it was a backstage look at the hottest ticket in town. And in ways it is.

 

The author, Mike Anthony, set out to be a Broadway actor. But like many wannabes, he had to pay his dues. So, he took a job as a bartender at Hamilton’s home, the Richard Rogers Theater until he could get a Broadway gig. I was never sure if Anthony kept a journal during his time at RRT, or if he set out to write a book about the people who stopped by or those he met.

 

The book was interesting, but I didn’t care about Anthony’s memories and anecdotes. I didn’t care about the famous people who came to see the show (Opray, twenty-five times; Rosie O’Donnell more than forty) and his interaction with them. I was rather fascinated about how the Secret Service got then-President Obama and then-Vice President Pence in and out without that night’s audience even knowing they were there.

 

From what I understand, Anthony gave up his dream behind the footlights and settled into a swell job. I’m happy for him. He found satisfaction and joy in what he did, and really, that’s all we can hope for in a job.

 

Life at Hamilton: Sometimes You Throw Away Your Shot, Only to Find Your Story receives 2 out of 5 stars in Julie’s world.


No comments:

Post a Comment