Monday, March 25, 2024

Sinatra's Century: One Hundred Notes on the Man and his World

Sinatra's Century: One Hundred Notes on the Man and his World by David Lehman 278 pages

I have been a fan of Ol’ Blue Eyes since I discovered music as a teenager. None of that rock ‘n roll for me! I’ve read many books on Mr. S.; I love to learn more about him. One of the first
things I check out in a book about Mr. S., is who is writing it and how does he/she know this stuff?

The author, David Lehman, had no connections to Mr. S’s. inner circle as far as I can tell. Yet, the book is about one of my idols, so how could I resist at least not flipping through it. All I can say is thank God for libraries and their interlibrary loan service. I didn’t want to take the risk of missing something because I didn’t want to spend twenty-five bucks on a bad book. Lehman is a big, huge fan of Sinatra’s, and I’m glad that come through.

I love the style of this book. It’s one-hundred short reflections on the man, the legend, and his music. He touches on every aspect of Mr. S’s life from beginning to end. The reflections are short, ranging from a half-page to four pages.
Like I said, there is nothing new in this volume, and it’s not very well written for a man who is “one of the most prominent voices in contemporary American poetry.” Therefore, Sinatra's Century: One
Hundred Notes on the Man and his World gets 1 out of 5 stars in Julie’s world.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment