Monday, December 22, 2014

Bangkok 8

Bangkok 8 (Sonchai Jitpleecheep #1)Bangkok 8, by John Burdett, 336 pages

I'm always trying to expand my RA skills by reading outside of my usual "zone," and I was glad I did with this one.  This is the first in a series of mysteries that take place in Bangkok, Thailand, and features a Buddhist police officer named Sonchai Jitpleecheep.  This is just such a sensory immersion in the "real" heart of Bangkok- from transsexuals and prostitution, to drugs and murder, no topic is untouched.  All of these are part of the investigation Sonchai must undertake when his best friend and partner is murdered.  I think that Burdett did a pretty good job of discussing police corruption and prostitution in a sympathetic manner while also leaving enough unknown that the reader will want to continue with this series.  Also, I really want to go to Thailand now.

No comments:

Post a Comment