Saturday, December 13, 2014

I Don't Know What You Know Me From

I Don't Know What You Know Me From: Confessions of a Co-Star by Judy Greer, 235 pages

Even if you don't know it, you've probably seen Judy Greer in a movie or TV show. She's Hollywood's go-to best friend, assistant, secretary, sidekick...basically anybody but the leading lady. In this collection of essays, she reflects on her personal life, elements of her career, and her musings on things as random as making it in Hollywood to feeding stepchildren.

I hoped, from the title, that this would focus on Greer's career, but I felt that she didn't spend nearly enough time on it. Or at least not in the way I'd hoped. Anecdotes abound about peeing in the stall next to J.Lo and the awkwardness of accidentally ending up in the seat-filler bar at the Oscars. But the actual experiences of making Arrested Development, or Archer, or any of the gajillion romantic comedies listed on her IMDb page? Not so much.

Basically, this book lacked substance, and honestly, after reading/listening to it, I kind of like her less as an actress. Maybe it's just because I read two other much better memoirs during the time I was listening to this one, but Greer comes across as needy, whiny, immature, and vapid. Pass this one over for a better Hollywood autobiography, like Tina Fey's Bossypants, or Rachel Dratch's Girl Walks Into a Bar..., or Neil Patrick Harris' Choose Your Own Autobiography, or Rob Lowe's Stories I Only Tell My Friends. Basically, this was the bottom of the barrel when it comes to the Hollywood memoirs I've read.

P.S. This is my last blog post for the SLPL book challenge blog, and I really wish it was about a better book. If you really want to know what I'm reading in the future, check out the University City Public Library book challenge blog. I know I'll keep checking back here! It's been swell!

1 comment:

  1. Hey! No promoting competing teams on our blog! (Seriously though, you and all your posts will be sorely missed around here.)

    ReplyDelete