Sunday, December 14, 2014

The Interestings

The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer, 538 pages

The Interestings follows a small group of friends, who name themselves "the interestings", starting in the summer of 1974 at an arts camp called Spirit-in-the-Woods. Once you are introduced to the characters, the story jumps around a lot, hitting various turning points in the lives of these friends. The story is mostly told from the perspective of Julie aka "Jules" Jacobsen, a member of the group who always felt like she became part of the group by accident, and who is never quite satisfied with her life.
I read this book in a week, which for me, lately, is unheard of. (as in, I haven't been reading anything that fast). I am not sure why it held my interest so much. I guess I just wanted to see what would happen to the characters as they aged and changed, and see if any of them became drastically different than their childhood selves.
This book was a lot about how much people can change over time and yet still ultimately be the same. It is compared to The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides, and having read that recently, I definitely saw some similar themes.

No comments:

Post a Comment