Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Sherlock Holmes Adaptations

A Study in Scarlet, Sign of the Four, and The Hound of the Baskervilles adaptations by Ian Edginton, 129, 124 and 127 pages

Cover image for Having read some of Doyle's work namely the odd Sherlock Holmes novella or two, I was intrigued when I saw the first three Sherlock Holmes works had been adapted into graphic novels. I must admit I have never read these first few stories by Doyle but like most classical works they were on my list.
Cover image for
Cover image for For those that don't know any of the Sherlock Holmes stories A Study in Scarlet is about how Holmes and Watson meet and work on a case about love and revenge. The Sign of the Four involves treasure and a mysterious group known as The Four who's lives revolve around it. Finally Hound of the Baskervilles is about a mysterious hound that is terrifying the Baskerville family line.

Much like other classics I blogged about recently I though by reading these adaptations I would be able to not only cross them off my list but save some time as well. However I can somewhat proudly say that while these graphic novels were quite good and, I am sure, covered the story but they seemed somewhat lacking. Sort of like watching a movie on television with the commercials versus watching it in a theatre. It is the same movie but less so, if you know what I mean. For that reason reading these adaptations only served to convince me all the more to read the originals. But I also look forward to seeing the rest of Holmes adapted to this form.

No comments:

Post a Comment