Sunday, December 28, 2014

Pride and Prejudice

Cover image for Pride and Prejudice, Manga adaptation by Stacy E. King, 377 pages

Pride and Prejudice is one of those classics that commonly appear on top books to read or books to read before you die. It is also one of those books that whenever someone starts talking about it I tried to fake that I might have read it. Well I still have not read the original but now at least I know enough of the characters and plot that I can discuss it without looking foolish.

Pride and Prejudice was originally written by Jane Austen and is definitely considered a classical work. It follows the life of Elizabeth Bennet and to a lesser degree her sister Jane as they explore and experience manners, morality and marriage. The book is rife with misunderstandings and misconceptions that while in that time period helped explore morality, today would be of little consequence. It is odd to see the things that back then would prevent a marriage such as family stature and wealth. While that still likely exists among the higher societies in todays time, it does nothing to associate it with the common reader.

I was hoping that by reading this manga adaptation I would then feel motivated to read the original. Sadly it had the opposite reaction. I now feel that I have read enough to be able to talk about the book and the morals that go with it and no longer need to read the original. Maybe someone will be able to convince me otherwise in the comments

No comments:

Post a Comment