Monday, December 15, 2014

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart, 345 pages

I absolutely ADORED this book. It'd been on my radar for a while (mostly because it was a Printz honor book in 2009), but I’d never gotten around to reading it until last month. Our protagonist, Frankie, is a sophomore at the ultra-prestigious east-coast boarding school, Alabaster. She deals with all the typical high school drama – new boyfriends, ex-boyfriends, clique politics, etc. But unlike an average high schooler, Frankie is a bit of a genius. Her classes aren’t particularly challenging and she decides to spend her time and energies infiltrating her school’s all-male secret society. Frankie’s infiltration efforts are spurred largely by her Cities, Art and Protest class (a class I wish had been offered by my own high school!) As happens in most YA novels, Frankie develops significantly over the course of the book and by its end she is somebody that I’m pretty sure I’d like to be friends with.

I’d recommend Frankie Landau-Banks to anybody and everybody, but particularly to those who enjoy the quick paced dialog and antics of Gilmore Girls. I'm really looking forward to reading E Lockhart's most recent book (We Were Liars) which just won the Goodreads Choice Award for best young adult fiction of 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment