Thursday, December 4, 2014

Will Grayson, Will Grayson, John Green & Levithan

Will Grayson, Will Grayson. John Green & David Levithan, 2010. 310 pages




     This book got me from the first page, as good teen fiction should always do. I  thought it was hilarious, and I am a tough critic.  The character of Tiny Cooper could quite possibly be one of the most entertaining fictional gay men I have ever felt like I've known.  He also reminds me of a few people I grew up with, which made him more plausible as a character for me, at least. Especially my friend who used to pretend he was Stevie Nicks by wrapping himself in a sheet and twirling around. Tiny Cooper made this book. Ok, I'm done.
      That aside, I recommend this book to everyone. It is funny, charming, awkward in the way the adolescence can be, and very well written. I loved that it was set in this area of the country, and I love that both Green and Levithan present the reader with dimensional LGBTQ characters.  These characters do not struggle with their sexual orientation as much as trying to deal with interpersonal relationships like everyone else at this age struggle to do. I did have the idea from the cover and book jacket description that there would be more of a science fiction angle, but was not disappointed to find out that this was not so.

1 comment:

  1. This has been on my 'to read' list for at least 2 years. Your review has pushed me to finally read it. :)

    ReplyDelete