Monday, August 31, 2015

The Secret To Lying

The Secret To Lying by Todd Mitchell, 328 pages

No one ever noticed James until the day he changed schools and went to the American School for Mathematics and Science, a residential school for gifted teens.  James decides to make up stories about his life at home and cultivate an image of a tough guy, always looking for a fight, but reformed now.  Most people believe him since no one knew him from before.  However, James starts getting messages from someone online who clearly knows that James’s stories aren’t true.  James feels comfortable telling this person a lot about who he really is but he doesn’t even know who the person is he’s talking to.  And as close as he feels, he still isn’t ready to open up about who he really is and what is really wrong.  I really liked this story.  It felt completely real to me and since it was set in my high school, it also really took me back to that time.  I wonder if I like it so much because it’s really that good or because it was so easy for me to relate, but I think it’s both, which means that I plan to start pushing this book on a lot of the teens that come to the Library.

No comments:

Post a Comment