Saturday, November 10, 2018

Daughter of Smoke and Bone

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor   422 pages

Karou is an enigma. She fills her sketchbooks with fantastical monsters who she says are real (but they can't be, can they?) and she speaks many languages, not all of them human. Who is she? That's the question that has haunted her . . and she's about to find out. Around the world, black hand prints are appearing on doorways, scorched into their surfaces by winged strangers. When Karou first sees Akiva, the end result is blood ---- but there's more to their encounter than they first realize.

I have read this book before and thoroughly enjoyed my re-read.  My original review on Goodreads is below, and I don't think I would change anything. I had forgotten how beautifully written this book is and it was a treat to sit down with it again.
--------------------------------
Fantastical and disturbing.  Wonderful and awful.  Heart-breaking.   Stunning.  Beautiful.

I fell in love with this book as soon as I started the first page, right before the real first page, which reads "Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love.  It did not end well."     Laini Taylor weaves us into a world filled with wonderful things and awful things, sometimes all in the same place.   Karou is a beguiling character; we learn bits about her as she learns about herself, so we're taken through the story as she is.   I found myself wandering wide-eyed through this book, savoring all the imaginative detail (and wanting to re-read it as soon as I had finished it).   I also found I wanted to book a trip to Prague (but that might not be the reaction everyone has).   The fact that this book contains one of my favorite words, and things: chimarae; so extra, extra bonus points there.   Teeth and tattoos get more points.

No comments:

Post a Comment