Tuesday, July 14, 2020

The Confession Club

The Confession Club (Book #3 in the Mason Series) by Elizabeth Berg   304 pages

One thing I don’t like about reading a series is that I forget a lot of what happened in the previous titles.  This series started “The Story of Arthur Truluv,” and continued with “Night of Miracles.” I enjoyed both book a lot, especially since I read them back-to-back.

In this third outing, reader will encounter characters who featured prominently. First is the small town of Mason, Missouri, outside Columbia. While there isn’t a lot of details about this quaint community, I get the feeling it that picturesque American town that is often seen in Hallmark movies. Baker Iris Winters and Maddy Harris, the girl who rescued Arthur Truluv, along with Maddy’s daughter, Nola, are the featured characters.

Maddy (and Nola) have come home from New York. Maddy’s marriage is on the rocks; she needs time to think and gain some perspective. 

A group of the town’s women decide to start a weekly supper club. Comradery and food are the appeal of the group. However, the supper club turns into a confession club, where each week, one of the women confesses something from her past. It felt like an AA meeting to me. But the odd part was that the group discusses and dissects the event. What was the point?  I guess it was a way for the women to get it off their chests, but why discuss it?  The past is past.

I usually devour Elizabeth Berg’s novels, but this one felt a little flat. There were scenes that were sheer pages turners and others that I had to push my way through.  Therefore, “The Confession Club” receives 3 out of 5 stars in Julie’s world.

2 comments: