Monday, May 31, 2021

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue


 The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab  444 pages

Summary from Goodreads:  France, 1714: in a moment of desperation, a young woman makes a Faustian bargain to live forever and is cursed to be forgotten by everyone she meets.


Thus begins the extraordinary life of Addie LaRue, and a dazzling adventure that will play out across centuries and continents, across history and art, as a young woman learns how far she will go to leave her mark on the world.

But everything changes when, after nearly 300 years, Addie stumbles across a young man in a hidden bookstore and he remembers her name.
 

And here's what I thought: I was SO happy to finally get this book -- I've been on the holds list forever!!!  And this story definitely did not disappoint -- I was sneaking pages here and there, staying up way too late reading . . .   definitely a story that I became immersed in really quickly. I thought the idea of the bargain that Addie makes was really imaginative and I liked the way the story moved back and forth in time, so you understand just how she is able to navigate through years of being alive.  The settings feel historically accurate and the characters are all believable, as well.  I don't know if I'd quite call this book a fantasy story --- more like magical realism mixed with some historical fiction?  I'll be adding this one to the list to add to my home collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment