Tuesday, June 21, 2022

A Game of Ghosts

 


Shirley J.     Adult Fiction      The F.B.I., People who see ghosts, "The Brethren" ghosts from Missouri

A Game of Ghosts by John Connolly   464 pages

The story is decent but not great.  I liked much of this book but I often felt lost in this very character heavy story.   I had to go back and reread certain parts because I would find myself lost in all the different story lines of the way too many characters.   This happened several times.   The writing is good, it is just there is so much going on here and so many different people bringing so much into the story then there is the ghost factor some helpful and benevolent offering warnings saving the humans they were guarding over, then there were the Brethren who bring a tie to Missouri which was a nice touch, but, who were in a purgatory type situation yet they were intrinsically evil so that sort of nullified the need for a purgatory pass as there didn't seem anything at all redeeming to them.    There are F.B.I. special agents with each of their backstories, then private investigators with theirs, dirty politicians (more back stories) odd gangster types and an old woman and her son with more storylines.   This book seemed a little too busy for my liking, and I found it hard to keep up with especially when the off set of characters would be thrown in here and there.   To me, it just seemed like this story couldn't make up its mind what it wanted to be so Connolly made it cover everything.   He is a good writer.   The characters' dialogue is entertaining, but, a more cut to the chase without 50 side lines would have been better.   I wouldn't recommend this one because it doesn't go from here to there, it goes 500 miles in every direction before you get there.   Fine if you are touring on vacation not so much if you are reading for enjoyment.


No comments:

Post a Comment