Thursday, June 9, 2022

A Lady's Guide to Fortune-Hunting

 


A Lady's Guide to Fortune-Hunting by Sophie Irwin  352 pages

Within the first chapter, Kitty loses the man she had planned to marry to solve her family's insolvency and prevent the loss of the home she shares with her four sisters.  Once this happens, she is forced to come up with a plan to find a new husband who has enough funding to save her home.  Since both of her parents are dead, she decides to go to London with one of her sisters and stay with her "aunt" who knew her mother when they were both "on the stage" and courtesans.  Her mother was fortunate enough to have one of her suitors marry her (although he was disowned because of the unsuitable marriage).  She meets Archie de Lacy (her sister went to seminary with his sister), but when his brother Lord Radcliffe gets wind of her plan (through his mother the hypochondriac) he comes to town to put the kibosh on the marriage.  Kitty finds ways to manipulate Lord Radcliffe to better herself in the eyes of the ton and even asks him to check on her suitors' financial suitability.  Of course you will have guessed the end.


This is my favorite time period to read about in historical romance. I enjoyed this book and the writing kept me reading long past my bedtime.  I liked the characters of Kitty and Lord Radcliffe although I wish some of the other characters had been fleshed out a little more.  My only real criticism of the book is that I wished there was more romance at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment