Friday, December 30, 2022

Fairy Tale

 Shirley J.                 Adult Fiction                          Another world under a neighbor's house

Fairy Tale by Stephen King    608 pages

I liked the first part of this book more than the latter part.    The story build up was excellent and very much the Stephen King of old with great quirky characters and places a presence of their own.  The fairy tale part when the 17 year old boy visits the world below his neighbor's house made me think King had watched the t.v. series, "Once Upon a Time,"  maybe "Stranger Things," possibly, "Game of Thrones," and reworked his own spin on them.   He even directly mentions Rumpelstiltskin and his pixie-ish voice further stating, "Dearie," throughout at his mention which is a direct take from Robert Carlyle's characterization of Rumpelstiltskin and his own development of how Carlyle came up the twinkie voice and how "Dearie," developed.   He sort of lost me at that point.   I finished the book and there are lots of fairyland wonder and wonders all exacted from King's imagery.   It just didn't feel genuine to me to credit King when it had been done by Carlyle earlier on with no nod to him for it.   I would say to die hard King fans, you will like the first half of the book but tell me what you think when you finish it.


No comments:

Post a Comment