Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Dragon Pearl

 

Shirley J.                  Juvenile Fiction                                                Shapeshifters, Fox Spirits

Dragon Pearl:A Thousand Worlds Novel, Book 1) by Yoon Ha Lee          only read 160 pages

This book had a number of things that sounded really good shapeshifters, fox spirits, ghosts but try as I might, I couldn't stay interested as it was presented.   The main character, Min, a 13 year old Fox Spirit from a family and long line of fox spirits.   She and her family were shapeshifters which could have been so interesting and offered  limitless possibilities but Min had a personality and actions that I could not get interested in.   She kept making me mad by deliberately choosing to do the opposite of what her mother asked, and seemed intent on sabatoging the family which I know was not supposed to be the book's intent but that is the impression I came away with.   She seemed very disrespectful and thinking only about herself even her desire to find her brother came back to being about her getting to take on the adventure he had left for until circumstances changed.   I finally decided to put the book down though I had such hopes for the shapeshifterness of it.    I read half of the book before with disappointment I went no further.   I cannot in all fairness recommend this book though perhaps there is an audience for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment