Tuesday, March 28, 2023

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing


 Shirley J.                  Adult Non-Fiction                          Tidying and Decluttering the KondoMari way

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondo    224 pages

I like Marie Kondo's decluttering books.   I have not mastered her folding techniques, but, I am working on it.   I love her cut to the quick take no prisoners methods of decluttering.   I can see how she got on the outs with her family when in her exuberance she KondoMaried her family's things before figuring out she needed to ask before taking over the fate of other people's stuff.   She has the ability to look at stuff and separate the unneeded from the necessary and she does it without any sentimentality so she has no attachments for the most part to her things and can pare down in a heartbeat.   While I admire her drive to let go of anything that is not helpful and that does not bring its owner joy, I am still a student and not a master.   Especially when it comes to paper and filing.  O.K. I'm still old school.  I have a filing cabinet, Marie Kondo would be horrified!    She has only a small number of papers she actually keeps.   A good book with lots of inspiring talk on how to rid yourself of clutter.    She promises the reader will improve their life by the freedom of getting out from under the burden of all your stuff.   I recommend this book to middle schoolers on up.   If kids develop excellent tidying/organizing skills like she has early on society will have a whole lot less hoarders when they grow up.   A good book and very motivational.

No comments:

Post a Comment