Thursday, December 31, 2015

Claymore 16-20

Claymore Volumes 16 - 20 by Norihiro Yagi, (5 books, 943 pages)

Cover image for It was just as I foretold! The circular leveling has happened! Repent now and flee! Wait, don't do that I got a little carried away... Anyways the one thing I hate about manga has now happened to a series I was just starting to really like, circular leveling. If you don't know what that is see my previous blog post about the Claymore series. Don't worry I will wait for you to come back. Back yet? good lets continue.

Everything happened just as I predicted, the Claymores and namely the ones who had already developed sketchy new powers came across a new bad guy, or in this case girl who they, even when fighting together cannot beat. This should be game over, end of story, everyone gets to die and have their closing cut scenes. I am thinking a nice monologue about saving yourself and forgiveness. But since no one really wants the series to end, except maybe me, the author had to find a way to allow good to have a fighting chance. I would almost rather see it as a hidden weak spot, sort of like the video games, but in manga we get the circular leveling. Since I have ranted about this enough for one year, I won't continue this rant, but Claymore got penciled in on my naughty list.

Cover image for
Despite all of my hatred for what Claymore has become, the series is quite good. Despite having a feeling of wandering in the first few volumes, everything has really come together in a nice streamlined story. There are of course some pieces missing that frankly seem slightly more interesting than the actual story, but it is not distracting and we do get glimpses to keep them fresh in our minds. Everything is headed for the final showdown, it will be interesting to see how they end it.
And yes, like nearly everything else I blog about, I will also continue to read the story. So sometime in the future you can look forward to reading another post about how right I was and my circular leveling hatred.

No comments:

Post a Comment