Saturday, December 22, 2018

The Road

The Road by Cormac McCarthy     241 pages

From Goodreads:

A father and his son walk alone through burned America. Nothing moves in the ravaged landscape save the ash on the wind. It is cold enough to crack stones, and when the snow falls it is gray. The sky is dark. Their destination is the coast, although they don’t know what, if anything, awaits them there. They have nothing; just a pistol to defend themselves against the lawless bands that stalk the road, the clothes they are wearing, a cart of scavenged food—and each other.

My Review:

This book is not for me. It's a post-apocalyptic/dystopian world built around two characters, a father and son, as they make their way through the ruins of America looking for...I don't really know what. They don't know what. It's cold, it's desolate, it's nearly hopeless, and ultimately not a lot happens.

I'm sure that many people have found some sort of deep meaning in all this, but to me it was the same situation played out over and over again: traveling, running out of food, almost dying of starvation, finding a magical store of previously unfound food, rinse and repeat. Sure the father and son discussed the morals of good and bad, McCarthy explores the idea of what mankind will become if left to their own devices, but it was done in such a boring way!

I probably would have put this book down after the first few pages, but I am counting this book as my "Oprah Winfrey Book Club Book," for Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge, so I had to get through it. And I did. I just didn't enjoy it. Read it if you're into slow-paced, thought-driven prose and bleak dystopian landscapes

No comments:

Post a Comment