Sunday, December 9, 2018

Then She Was Gone

Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell    359 pages

When Ellie was fifteen, her whole life was ahead of her and everything seemed perfect. And then, in the blink of an eye, she was gone.  It's now been ten years since Ellie disappeared but her mother, Laurel, has never given up hope of finding her. And then one day, a charming stranger named Floyd meets Laurel and sweeps her off her feet. Before long, she's staying overnight at his house and getting to know his daughter, nine year-old Poppy, who is an unusual child. She's also the spitting image of Ellie.

Is Laurel imagining a connection? What happened to Ellie? And is Floyd hiding something he knows?

This book kept me on the edge of my seat, which I really liked. A few times, I thought I knew what was happening or what was about to happen, but there were some twists I didn't see coming. I found the book to be atmospheric and the characters to be interesting and sympathetic. There's a lot of emotion in this story, as you would expect, and I found Laurel to be well-written character; she comes off as realistic, so at times, you wonder if she's jumping to conclusions just because she's been living with the grief of losing Ellie for so many years.  Good story, quick read.

No comments:

Post a Comment