Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Code Name Helene


 Code Name Helene by Ariel Lawhon   464 pages

 Over the years, I have a read a lot of novels about the French Resistance during World War Two, but I feel I can honestly say this is the first time I have ever felt as if I was embedded in a group of fighters.

This biographical fictional piece centers on Nancy Grace Augusta Wake, an Australian freelance journalist living and working in Paris. The book covers the time period of 1936-1944. Right before the Germans march into the City of Lights, Nancy and Henri, a wealthy industrialist,  fall in love and marry. Then Nancy gets involved in helping fight the Nazis.

What truly amazed about this novel is the complexities of the timelines (I counted six!) that tell Nancy’s story that takes place from 1936 through 1944, and in some ways, it is written backwards. I cannot image how author Ariel Lawhon managed to keep it all straight.

I mentioned six timelines: Nancy and her four code names (Madame Andree, Lucienne Carlier, 
Helene and The White Mouse) plus Henri. There is so much detail and yet it seems like there is hardly any; each element enriches the story. I never felt lost or confused about who was who and what was happening. Like the war itself,  Nancy’s story is too grand to have only one aspect of it spoken about or recorded.  The research Lawhon must have done probably lasted years!

I could not put this book down.  Code Name Helene” receives 6 out of 5 stars in Julie’s world.

No comments:

Post a Comment