Thursday, March 17, 2022

Finding ArJay: Memoirs of an Ordinary Man

“Finding ArJay: Memoirs of an Ordinary Man” by Ron Scott 197 pages 

I’ve known Ron Scott for a couple of decades, at least. I don’t remember how we met, probably through a fiction writing class I was teaching somewhere along the way. We were even in the same writing group for a while. I can’t say we were close, but we’ve stayed in touch over the years. I’ve always felt like I knew him thanks to his writings, which have always been wonderful. And I’ve often thought he was pretty cool. 

When he asked me to review this book, I jumped at the chance. Heck, I’ll read anything by Ron. I think he’s a wonderful writer.  And this book is no exception.

His memoir spans his life, from childhood to old age. It gets down to the gritty that illuminates what makes this man tick. Some of it was very difficult to read.  

From his earliest days, it’s been a tough life. His mother married his stepfather when he was four years old. His biological father abandoned him and his mom. He was spent most of his time with his grandparents on an isolated family farm. I did find it hard to keep the players straight; I got confused with all the names. Those early years were fraught with anxiety and a neediness to please. Something that I had not seen in my friend.  But reading his memories, they followed him as silently and as closely as his shadow.  

Some of Ron’s life, I’m almost ashamed to know…like his affairs. Ron? A womanizer? Well, not really, but the opportunities arose. His first wife was Marlene, and his second and current wife is Marilyn. I had a hard time keeping them straight. If this was a novel, I’d tell him to change one of the names. 

Readers get an opportunity to watch Ron seemingly drift from job to job, from preacher to parole officer, teaching college until he landed in private practice as a psychotherapist.  

I found Ron’s story quite revelatory, and it touched me deeply. The anecdotes were well structured without overtelling or trying to explain. His writing explores a lot of the dark issues that man of his fellow readers will understand. He gives voice to feelings that most of us can’t even articulate.  

I do have one beef,  however. There are four stories at the end that are labeled “Short Stories.” Short stories are fiction and those are not. They are more like personal essays the elaborate on some the events that happened in the book. Therefore,  “Finding ArJay: Memoirs of an Ordinary Man” receives 4 out of 5 stars in Julie’s world.

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment