Wednesday, March 9, 2016

A Few of the Girls

A Few of the Girls by Maeve Binchy.  319 pages.

This is a collection of stories by Maeve Binchy, an Irish author who has written many best-selling novels.  Generally, her books focus on people and their relationships with each other, and this collection, according to the publisher, " is a glorious collection of the very best of her writing, full of the warmth, charm, and humor that has always been essentially Maeve."

I have read, I think, all of Binchy's books, some of them several times over.  For the ones I like best, I like the characters, and reading my way through their relationships with each other.  I also enjoy how the stories aren't always full of happy endings; not every character is destined to wind up happy (at least by the end of the pages in the book).   These stories, published after Binchy died in 2012, are typical for her stories.   However, I didn't really enjoy them, overall.   I found too many of them were a bit melancholy, and even at times, bitter, for what I wanted to be reading.   In a book-length story, there is often more balance between the melancholy and the happy, but these stories were too short for that to happen.   The stories are realistic, which I liked, and were true in style to the author's books.   However, I guess I was looking for a bit more balance, and the stories felt like they were on the sadder side and after reading several of them, it got a bit depressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment