Saturday, March 12, 2016

The Red Room

The Red Room by Ridley Pearson.  399 pages.

This is the third in the Risk Agent series, and finds John Knox again dealing with David Dulwich, his contact at Rutherford Risk.  When he's handed a photo of a transaction he recently facilitated in the Middle East, Knox is a bit disturbed, especially since he is shown the photo in the Red Room, Rutherford's high-security underground bunker.    Pressed into accepting a job as an art broker in Istanbul, Knox is paired (again) with Grace Chu to navigate a risky deal.

I would say the same thing about this book that I did about the previous Pearson book: reading this story is like watching a Jason Bourne movie.   It's a fast-paced thriller with steady catch-and-release tension and complex characters.   Generally, I thought the book was okay, and felt like Pearson does a good job of making the setting feel real, along with the action.   However, there were times when it started to feel a bit far-fetched and thinly stretched, plot-wise.  The action is good, but at the same time, it feels like it's being used to distract me from the places where the plot isn't holding together.    I liked Choke Point better, and I'm not sure if I'll be eager to grab White Bone (Risk Agent, #4) when it comes out in July.

No comments:

Post a Comment