Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Relish: My Life in the Kitchen



Relish: My Life in the Kitchen by Lucy Knisley, 173 pages
  
I’m a comic book reader, not a cookbook reader. I’d seen Relish receiving rave reviews in various journals and blogs, but wasn’t sure it was for me. Luckily for me, Lucy Knisley hones in on not just cooking, but all the wonderful memories and relationships food can foster.

Knisley presents her life in a series of vignettes, each centered on a specific meal or other food-related memory. She grew up under fairly exceptional circumstances, with globetrotting gourmets for parents, food played an integral role in her childhood that has continued into her adult life. Her culinary experiences range from selling locally grown produce at the farmers’ market to eating at five-star Michelin restaurants abroad.

After checking this book out from the library and devouring it (ha! pun!), I went out and purchased my own copy - the recipes at the end of each chapter look mouth-wateringly delicious and I want to try making all of them! Kitchen-avoiding-me actually wants to try the recipes in this book! I’d love to see Relish start a new graphic-novel-cookbook trend, the illustrated recipes resonated with me in a way that standard cookbooks do not.

No comments:

Post a Comment