Tuesday, November 26, 2013

When I'm Old and Other Stories

When I'm Old and Other Stories by Gabrielle Bell, 127 pages

I first read Gabrielle Bell in the pages of Kramer's Ergot, an anthology now in its 8th volume which I consider the holy grail of experimental comics.  The short excerpt was part of the graphic novel Cecil and Jordan in New York.  This story, which reads like autobiography, takes an amazing turn when the main character, feeling both objectified and paralyzed actually turns into chair!

Later I was amazed to find that filmmaker Michel Gondry adapted this story for his addition to the film tryptic Tokyo!, (which for my money wins hands down over the New York tryptic New York Stories.)  I also enjoyed Bell's addition to the Drawn & Quarterly Showcase.  So, when this book turned up as a possible withdrawal item, I made sure it made it back to the shelf where it belongs (if only to have a chance to read it myself.)

When I'm Old collects Bell's early work which focuses on the trials of youth trying to find its place in the world through jobs, relationships, traveling, art etc.  Graphically and thematically, it's all over the place. You get a sense Bell is playing around with different styles and genres(fairy tale, gothic, slice-of-life) in an attempt to find her voice.  While most of the stories have a rough, zine-like feel, Bell's storytelling abilities, as well as her sharp social observations, are as keen as ever.  And, like any good zine, there's plenty of angsty commiseration that will make you nod your head in recognition.

No comments:

Post a Comment