Saturday, November 16, 2013

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami, 180 pages



I was familiar with Murakami's name, but admittedly, had not read any of his works prior to this. Being introduced to him via a memoir may not have been the best route to go. However, I am a runner myself, and the title appealed to me. This book is not really a biography, but a narrative of his 25 years so far of long distance running, and his love/hate relationship with it. He also makes comparisons between his running and his writing, although the writing part did not stand out to me. He spends a lot of time really trying hard to just enjoy himself and it seems to be a goal that's always just out of reach. He runs a marathon each year, and more recently has started participating in triathlons as well. As a runner, his description of his mixed feelings for the sport were familiar to me (although I am new enough to it to lean way more toward the loving it side). He has also had the privilege of running in all parts of the globe, and in many types of scenery. It's a short read at only 180 pages, and definitely appeals to someone interested in running, but if you're looking for an enthralling memoir, look elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment