Wednesday, September 5, 2018

I Only Have Lies for You



I Only Have Lies for You by Robert J. Randisi   324 pages

This is the eleventh book in the Rat Pack Mystery Series. I have really enjoyed the previous ten, and I’m already anxiously awaiting the arrival of Number 12. 

It’s 1965. Eddie G, one of the Sands Hotel’s pit bosses, has come to be known as the “go-to guy” when it comes to getting celebrities out of trouble. Thanks to all the help he’s provided, he can call the Rat Pack---Sinatra, Martin, Davis, Bishop and Lawford, his pallies.

Frank calls Eddie on behalf of his friend, television superstar Jackie Gleason. Frank even sends his private plane to take Eddie to Miami to confer with “The Great One.” All he can learn from Jackie is that somebody has been tailing Jackie’s sweetheart, Marilyn Taylor, sister of the famous June Taylor (and her dancers that were always a hit on Jackie’s shows.).” Before readers can turn too many pages, the bodies are piling up, and without more info, Eddie isn’t sure if he can help, and it appears that Eddie maybe on the receiving end of murder.

The usual cast of characters populates the pages. Jerry from Brooklyn, who has recently been diagnosed with diabetes and is on a diet. Danny, Eddie’s private dick pal who does some snooping back in Vegas. Jack who is the Sands’ head honcho.

I do love these tales, and I’m worried that Randid may be coming to the end of the series. Eddie makes a statement in the last third of the book that he is “getting tired of this.”  I sure hope Eddie isn’t considering retiring.

The story is predictable, but I knew that going in. For me, the fun of the read is the guys, Eddie and Jerry, not to mention all the glitz and glamor from the days when Vegas was cool. The biggest problem that I have is that Randisi has changed publishers. The guy on the cover’s left is supposed to be Frank Sinatra, but it sure doesn’t look like him. Then there is the lack of any kind of proofing reading. YIKES!  For those reasons,  “I Only Have Lies for You” receives 4 out of 5 stars in Julie’s world.

No comments:

Post a Comment