Friday, September 7, 2018

The Betrayals

The Betrayals by Fiona Neill     390 pages

Told through the perspectives of four members of the same family, this story explores the aftermath of an affair.  When Rosie's best friend has an affair with her husband, the consequences impact both families, even years afterwards.  Rosie's daughter Daisy, always fragile, has moved on with her life until a letter arrives (addressed to Rosie but opened by Daisy first) that opens up all of the old wounds of the affair. The question is: what actually happened that summer between Rosie's husband and her best friend?

I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy this book but the more I got into it, the more engrossed I became. I liked that there were the four different perspectives because each one had a different take on the affair. Daisy has OCD (not really a spoiler) and so I found her perspective particularly interesting because while I have read about OCD, it's different to read someone's first-hand account of how they view the world. What's also interesting about this story is that it's hard to tell what actually happened between the two adults the one summer (the summer of the affair) because you assume the one character is telling the complete truth . . . until you start to doubt that.  Not a happy story, but an interesting one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment