Wednesday, September 19, 2018

The Good Neighbor: The Life and Work of Fred Rogers

The Good Neighbor: The Life and Work of Fred Rogers by Maxwell King   320 pages

This is the first full-length biography of Fred Rogers (known to most of us as Mister Rogers). The author uses archival documents, original interviews, oral histories and more and takes the reader through Rogers' childhood through his decades of work.

I found this an absolutely fascinating book (and thought I would, so that was nice). I didn't know much about Fred Rogers and some of the information surprised me. For example, I didn't know that he had stopped working on programs for children for a while and made television for adults --- only to return to the Neighborhood with more sophisticated episodes. I also didn't know how extensively he consulted with experts on childhood development --- I mean, I assumed that he did and that he himself had some background in child development, but I didn't know how much time he spent with his mentor in the field.

This is a really richly written biography. You get a full picture not only of the person, but also of what they meant to the people around them. Fred Rogers is a beloved person to many of (even now, years after his death), but how much do we really know about him? This book does a great job of being true to its subject in an engaging way, even as a lot of information is covered. As a child, I watched Mister Rogers' Neighborhood and I remember really loving some of those shows (Daniel Tiger was my favorite).

Now, I just need to grab my box of tissues and find the new documentary about him to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment