Thursday, March 28, 2019

Far Side of the Sea


Far Side of the Sea by Kate Breslin    384 pages

 

I always look forward to a new Kate Breslin novel. I can always depend on lots of intrigue with some romance and a dash of faith.  Her latest novel, “Far Side of the Sea,” doesn’t disappoint in those areas.

 

We last saw Lieutenant Colin Mabry at the end of her previous novel, “Not by Sight,” returning from WWI, injured physically and mentally. Suffering from what was then termed shell-shock (now it’s PTSD), Colin is haunted by the memories of being trapped underground after a tunnel collapse in which he loses a hand. He is the lone survivor.

 

Now he’s decoding messages for M18 in a small outpost outside London. The job is routine, but it’s what Colin needs right now. Then he decodes a message that leaves him breathless. A message from the woman he left behind, the woman he believed was dead, the woman whom he never told how he felt.

 

He travels to Paris to meet Jewel Reyer. But it’s not Jewel, but her half-sister, Johanna. Johanna is in search of Jewel and believes that she can lead her to their father, a man she has only met once. As Colin and Johanna work to find Jewel, sparks start to fly. Colin believes he loves Jewel, but as tensions rise, he must admit that he is not sure of how he really feels.

 

Everything that makes a great read is there, yet I found I was disappointed in the tale. While there is high adventure, I didn’t feel that there weren’t any unforeseen twists that took my breath away. And throughout the whole book, I felt like I was missing something. Maybe is that I really didn’t remember Colin from “Not by Sight.”  Therefore, “Far Side of the Sea” receives 3 out of 5 stars in Julie’s world.


No comments:

Post a Comment