Friday, March 22, 2019

No Hard Feelings; The Secret Power of Embracing Emotions at Work

No Hard Feelings; The Secret Power of Embracing Emotions at Work by Liz Fosslien  304 pages

This book takes a visual approach to explaining how you can embrace emotion at work and become a happier, more fulfilled person at work (and outside of work, too).  The authors take a deeply researched look at how emotions affect our professional lives and how we can navigate our emotions at work.  For example, "Real, valuable feedback is not going to feel like a gift. Realize that negative feedback often means the criticizer cares about helping you improve and is willing to bear the awkwardness of a difficult conversation."

I started reading this book and quickly realized this is something where I want to buy a copy for myself and then stick a bunch of post-its and notes in it so I can keep it on my desk and refer to it.  I found it incredibly helpful and interesting, and I think a lot of people would benefit from reading it.  I feel a lot of us at work find it's hard to have a good balance of emotion at work; you might work somewhere where it's buttoned-up and people never express emotion at all, or you might be somewhere where people share everything they're feeling in the moment.  Finding a balance can be tough, especially if you come from a work culture where you've felt that it can show weakness to express many types of emotions.

Really valuable book!

No comments:

Post a Comment