Friday, March 22, 2019

The Silent Patient

The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides    323 pages 

Alicia Berenson seems to lead a charmed life as a famous painter married to an in-demand fashion photographer.  So why then, when her husband returns home late one evening, does Alicia shoot him five times in the face?  No one knows, since she then never speaks another word. 

Her refusal to speak complicates this domestic tragedy, turning it into a mystery that captures the public's imagination. While the price of her art skyrockets, she is sent to The Grove, a secure psychiatric forensic unit in North London.  Theo Faber, a criminal psychotherapist, is determined that he can get Alicia to speak again and finally explain what happened with her husband.  But when he gets too close to the truth, it seems like both he and Alicia are in danger.

This is a great example of a suspense book with a good twist in it --- that you shouldn't see coming. I had my suspicions, but even though I read a fair amount of psychological suspense books, I didn't anticipate exactly what would be revealed.  I enjoyed that, even though I found other parts of the book to be slightly less than satisfying. I liked the setup of having a character who would not speak and a second character who was determined to make her speak. With Theo's character, you get insight into Alicia through him, but you also get insight into who he is --- and frankly, I found him to be a little creepy.  This is a pageturner with an interesting premise, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment