Monday, April 29, 2019

My Own Two Feet

My Own Two Feet by Beverly Cleary   352 pages

This is the follow-up to Cleary's first autobiography and continues where that book leaves off, with her leaving Oregon to attend junior college in California.  Like her first book, she writes with warmth and detail about her family, her school life, her marriage, and her jobs (including her librarian jobs!!).  I really enjoyed learning about what her life was like during the 1930s and how she navigated school, her family life, and her social life.

Like the first book, Cleary doesn't spare details; this  means that there are at times some unhappy details. But again, there is never a feeling of "poor me" and instead, just a feeling that you're getting a glimpse into the life of an amazing woman.

I didn't really know anything about Cleary until I read these two books, so I have enjoyed learning about her.

No comments:

Post a Comment