Monday, April 29, 2019

The Last Book Party

The Last Book Party by Karen Dukess   256 pages  I read a galley 

This coming-of-age story takes place over the summer of 1987, when Eve Rosen is an aspiring writer stuck in a job she doesn't love. With her professional ambitions seemingly on hold, she jumps at the chance to attend an early summer party at the home of a famous writer, Henry, and his poet wife, Tillie. Instantly crushing on the author's son, Eve then lands a job as Henry's research assistant for the summer.  She also lands an invitation to Henry and Tillie's very exclusive "Book Party," where partygoers dress as literary characters.  What starts off as a fantastic summer job turns into more of an adventure than Eve bargained for, and also reveals that the literary world she covets may not be as wonderful as she imagined.

I liked the simple prose of this book and the way the story seemed to flow pretty effortlessly. The characters are very realistically written (which means you sometimes don't like them very much), and I was curious to see what would happen to Eve.  I have read reviews on Goodreads from people who loved this book --- and I thought it was okay. It wasn't the best book I've ever read, and I don't see wanting to pick it up again in the future.  It's an interesting story, but I didn't feel much connection to the characters or the storyline.

No comments:

Post a Comment