Thursday, March 23, 2017

Akata Witch

Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor, 349 pages

“Twelve-year-old Sunny Nwazue, an American-born albino child of Nigerian parents, moves with her family back to Nigeria, where she learns that she has latent magical powers which she and three similarly gifted friends use to catch a serial killer.”  This was a re-read for me.  I liked it a little better this time than the first time I read it.  I think I got a little more out of it this time than the first time, although I think some of the things that made it a difficult read for me the first time still hold true.  For example, Sunny seems to accept the magical world very quickly, which just seemed odd to me.  However, overall, it’s a good read and a slightly scary fantasy for teens.

No comments:

Post a Comment