Saturday, July 22, 2017

A Beautiful, Terrible Thing

A Beautiful, Terrible Thing: A Memoir of Marriage and Betrayal by Jen Waite   272 pages

When Jen Waite discovered that the person she built her life around never existed, she also discovered he happened to be a psychopath. After a disturbing email sparks her suspicion that her husband, Marco, is having an affair, Jen begins to try to rebuild the trust in her marriage. However, the more she discovers, she finds more lies, more infidelity and more betrayal than she could have imagined.  Obsessively analyzing her marriage, she tries to find a single moment that is true.

Obsessive is the right word here. I picked up this book because what I had read about it made me curious. I kept reading, although I really didn't love this book.  I found I was impatient with the author, and I didn't understand her obsession with her husband. The way she writes it, when she discovers the email, she's immediately screaming at him. Then, she's obsessed with finding out more, staying with Marco, then leaving him, but still obsessing about what he's done and what he's continuing to do.   I was glad that she had her family to rely upon, since she discovered the incriminating email right after her daughter is born --- but frankly, I would have cut my losses, let my family help me, and filed for a divorce. It's tempting to keep trying to understand why this guy cheated and lied, but I guess I'm just not prone to obsession.  It is interesting to read about how she starts looking up information about his behavior and discovers that he's a textbook psychopath, something she would never have known when she fell in love with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment