Friday, July 7, 2017

Exploring Calvin and Hobbes

Exploring Calvin and Hobbes: An exhibition catalogue by Bill Watterson.  160 pages.

This is a companion book to an extensive exhibition at the Billy Ireland Cartoon Library and includes a lengthy interview with Bill Watterson, as well as some exploration of different strips. Beyond comic strips, the book also includes original art of Calvin and Hobbes, original commentary and some art from artists that Watterson considers to be influential.

This book caught my eye because Calvin and Hobbes remains one of my favorite comic strips, but also because I never knew that had been an exhibit of his work (and I didn't know anything about the cartoon library at Ohio State).

It was interesting to read about how Watterson began his career, his influences, and how to see how the strip progressed from his original ideas to the strip that was syndicated in most of our newspapers. Reading the lengthy interview with Watterson was especially interesting, and now that I've read this book, I have a deeper appreciation for his work.

No comments:

Post a Comment