Thursday, July 6, 2017

A Separate Peace

ASeparate Peace by John Knowles, 204 pages

"Set at a boys' boarding school in New England during the early years of World War II, A Separate Peace is a harrowing and luminous parable of the dark side of adolescence. Gene is a lonely, introverted intellectual. Phineas is a handsome, taunting, daredevil athlete. What happens between the two friends one summer, like the war itself, banishes the innocence of these boys and their world. A bestseller for more than thirty years, A Separate Peace is John Knowles's crowning achievement and an undisputed American classic."  I read this because it's one of those books that it seems like I ought to have read.  I'm not sorry that I read it, but I'm not sure that I can say I enjoyed it exactly, either.  I tend to like books that are a little happier but I felt like it was worthwhile.  If I had been required to read it for class I might have enjoyed it more since I definitely had to read worse things for school.

No comments:

Post a Comment